Sunday 1 April 2007

My first time at the Cake Tin to see a Hurricane win

What a great night it was - my first ever time at the Wellingon Cake Tin watching the Hurricanes against the South African Bulls. Even though our seats were sat directly behind the goal posts, there was a carnival feel to the evening with crowds of people dressed up and ready for a party plus plenty of interesting action on the rugby field too. Again - I did feel that the Hurricane's backline failed to fire, except for the tremendous try set up by Piri Weepu, Corey Jane and scored by Hosea Gear in the second half. (As luck would have it, that was my only pitstop during the entire game so I heard the try via the crowd roar echoing in the bowels of the stadium as opposed to actually viewing it live - although I did manage to catch the replay on the big screen). I didn't really care much for the girly cheerleaders that paraded around throughout the match but I guess if it works for half the crowd, then who am I to put a damper on things. Besides when they danced at half time, I have to admit they were quite good. The Kiss Cam was certainly highly entertaining with the camera zooming in on couples to snog it up for the cheering crowd. That along with plenty of giveaways into the mob certainly kept everyone entertained, even if they weren't particularly interested in the rugby.

I was pleased to see the Hurricanes scavenge a win. The Bulls, even with speedster star Bryan Habana, looked like they had less attacking dynamite than the 'Canes. I am ashamed to admit I fully got into the spirit of booing the ref (something I always righteously tut tut about when I see the crowd doing it on television) and joined in the chorus of 'Off! Off! Off!' when that villain (but all round star player) Victor Matfield was sinbinned at the end of the match. In all it was an entertaining night, if not completely for the rugby. I thought the Hurricanes defended well and Rodney So'oialo was my man of the match. He was everywhere. I admire him because he always gives it his all. I still think the team as such could be coached better and they need a bit more brain to their play. But a win is a win. And it was an entertaining razzmatazz evening. I certainly got my money's worth.

No comments: