Thursday 9 August 2007

Rugby World Cup Profiles - France

In this lull before the Rugby World Cup, I have decided to follow the lead of fellow esteemed bloggers and publish my thoughts on each top ten team heading into the World Cup Competition and what I think their chances are. Here are my thoughts on France:


Current World Rank: 3


Random cliché: ‘Who knows which French team will turn up on the day’ and ‘they’re very enigmatic’


Murray Mexted most likely to say: "You don't like to see hookers going down on players like that."


Stephen Jones did say: ‘France, in many senses are a shadow of themselves’.


Coach likely to say in defeat: ‘You will never referee in this town again!’


Glamour boy of the team: Sebastien Chabal


Greatest Moment in last four years: Have had a lion like grip on the Six Nations trophy three years out of four.


Weakest Moment: The hammering suffered at the hands of the All Blacks on home turf both in 2004 and 2006


Weak link in the team: Frederick Michalek


Redeeming features: Bernard Laporte – if you’re going to play bad rugby and send along a C team, at least you’ve got a mad coach to liven things at the post match press conference.


Incumbent star: Dimitri Yachvili


Rising star: Pierre Mignoni

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chabal really impresed me in the 6 nations. I think Yachvilli has been kind of up and down for both club and country.

Ferdy said...

Who would be your star playing of the French? I'm interested to know....

Anonymous said...

A couple of years ago, I would have said Serge Betsen, but I think he has lost a step. Believe it or not, I would pick IBanez, their hooker as their Star. At least I think he is their most consistent player. he played REALLY well for WASPS, I think, in their H-Cup run.

Nursedude said...

Gee, and who scored a try against England last week to win the game...a try that Lomu would have been proud of: A certain Chabal.