Monday 10 September 2007

Ireland 32 – Namibia 17

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a couple of lovely comments from a generous person (I have a suspicion s/he may be from Ireland) in my inbox today. He was inspired to leave some highly original remarks about New Zealand being a nation of sheepshaggers in reply to a couple of my recent posts implying that the Irish rugby team were on the decline. Well my dear friend ‘Muttoneater’, I’m afraid to say that after Ireland’s average performance against an impassioned Namibia side today, it appears my gloomy comments about your team may have some element of truth in them.

Eddie O’Sullivan and his men need to do something and fast to pick up their World Cup campaign as it looks very much at this stage on current form that they are the main contenders for elimination in Pool D –before the quarter finals even kick off. I hope this is not the case. I am a huge fan of the Irish and would hate to see them out of the competition, especially considering they have been one of the top teams in world rugby for the last few years.

4 comments:

Nursedude said...

I was able to catch a good chunk of this game, Ferdy, and I was impressed how much the Namibians took the game to the Irish at the end of the first half, and in the second half. I think of the "Minnows", I think Namibia really showed something today-even more than what the US did against the English. Good on them.

Anonymous said...

Come, come Ferdy: don't be too hard on our friends the Irish. A win is a win. It doesn't matter how the hell you get there, as long as you get there.

Amy said...

ha ha sheep shaggers? lmao that's hilarious!

Blondie said...

I missed this game sadly, but even though I'm cheering for the USA and Ireland, it's awesome to hear another small team like the USA taking on the big guys with everything they can muster.